Sunday, December 6, 2009

Ch. 12 Racial Minorities and the Law

"For the law to be legitimate it must enjoy the united and consenting will of all [not just the majority]"--Immanuel Kant

This chapter mostly talks about the injustices done to African Americans, Native Americans, and those peoples of Asian decent. It does not talk about the the hardships that Irish and other white peoples had to endure. When the Irish immigrated to the United State they were looking for a place that was free of prejudices and a chance to become successful. Although it was not as bad as that of the Native Americans or African Americans it was still there. A few came for the American dream and other came because of the potato famine in Ireland. The American dream is the idea that anyone of any rank can achieve a better, richer, and happier life through hard work and dedication. Usually the Irish worked at the most menial jobs but then worked their way up through the social strata. Sometimes they were discriminated against because of their Catholic religion and other times for their bad living conditions upon first entering the United States. Between 1820 and 1860 about a third of the work force of the United States was Irish. Now most everyone I know has some Irish blood in them. Persecution

My dad owns a piece of land in Banks, Idaho. Banks is right next to the Payette River. The land is about 800 acres. It is a homestead. It used to be called Indian Ranch but is now called Dry Buck Ranch. My father told me that a long time ago a tribe of Native Americans used to live there. He said that they were called the Sheepeater Indians. He also said that they hid out there when the white men were trying to hunt them down. Every once and a while you'll find arrowheads that indicate that what he is telling is true. My mother raised a question. If the government decides to give the Native Americans back some of their ancestral lands would that property be considered part of that exchange. I guess it could be and that we would lose the property. This has made me think.

I find it horrible that all these horrible things happened to the Indians and the slaves. My ancestors may even have played a part in events described in the book. It makes me angry and a little sad that it happened. I have to remind myself that I personally had nothing to do with those ghastly events.

No comments:

Post a Comment